Photographic, Wildife & Bush Courses
Over the years we have had requests from guests for a photographic course led by a professional photographer held in the field, and for an educational and adventure programme aimed at teaching people more about the bush, wildlife, tracking, birds and the environment. So we have put together two courses which offer just this.
Laikipia Wilderness Wildife & Bush Course
Want to learn more about the African bush without the stress and pressure of official exams?
The Laikipia Wilderness bush course is structured along the syllabus of formally presented FGASA * courses which is widely respected as the leader in African Guide Training. The course lasts for 6 nights and requires a minimum of 4 people on board.
It is primarily aimed at those who are looking for a more in-depth and educational bush experience while on safari and for those wanting to gain a greater understanding of nature and the environment whilst experiencing the excitement of true Northern Kenyan wilderness.
You will learn about all the fascinating elements of both the large and small creatures of the bush and the amazing variety of organisms in nature. The general approach of the course is three fold.
1. Practical element You will go out into the bush twice a day either by vehicle or on foot and instead of just looking for animals nature will be interpreted and all aspects of the ecosystem will be revealed.
2. Lectures After your morning activity we will meet for slightly more formal interactive and illustrative audio-visual lectures where a wide variety of topics will be discussed.
3. Lots of fun and excitement
- Astronomy –
- Geology and soils – the basis of life.
- Ecology – how everything is connected and influences each other.
- Common trees and shrubs – Identification, medicinal uses, folklore and beliefs
- Animal tracks and tracking
- Bird identification and behaviour
- Animal behaviour – This includes amongst others Invertebrates, Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds and Mammals
- Wildlife management and conservation practices
- Basic wildlife photography
* Please take note that this is not an accredited FGASA course but one that have been developed along their syllabus for wildlife and nature enthusiasts.
Albie Venter studied Nature Conservation in Cape Town, and has been involved in professional wildlife guiding, wildlife management and eco-tourism for the past twelve years. He has been a member of the Field Guide Association of South Africa (FGASA) throughout his career, and holds both Level 3 and SKS-DA (special knowledge and skills –Dangerous Animals) qualifications in addition to Bronze Level Guiding Certificate of the Kenyan Professional Safari Guides Association (KPSGA). Albie is a registered Field Guide Assessor for the Field Guides Association of Southern Africa – FGASA and have assessed and trained guides throughout Southern and East Africa.www.africa-unlocked.com/About.html
Steve Carey a specialised walking guide from Zimbabwe operates Laikipia Wilderness bushcamp in northern Kenya.
Steve has been guiding since the age of 18, firstly running canoe safaris on the Lower Zambezi before setting up a walking safari business on Lake Kariba. Tracking big game on foot became his speciality and his knowledge of birds and animal behaviour has developed over 20 years of experience. Steve is well known as one of the top walking guides in Africa and his passion for the bush is infectious.
Laikipia Wilderness Photography Course
Our photography course lasts six nights and requires a minimum of four people. If we get inquiries for this course we will advertise the dates on this website and see if we can fill the other places. Like the bush and wildlife course, the photographic course is entirely practical and takes you out into the bush with your camera where you will learn how to use it, to look for the best light, composition, subject and technical aspects which make up the best photographs. Led by Albie Venter and hosted at Laikipia Wilderness, you will have the best opportunity to follow wildlife with one of the top wildlife guides and photographers in Africa in some of the most beautiful and untouched landscapes. Please email us for more details if you are interested.
- Functioning of a camera
- How to read light.
- Flash photography
- Catching the moment.
- Advanced wildlife photography techniques
- Making photography work for you.